Water your lawn and garden in the morning or evening when temperatures are cooler to minimize evaporation.
Fire Hydrant Meters
Fire hydrant meters are available when a temporary water connection to a hydrant is necessary.
A fire hydrant application must be submitted when requesting a new and/or exchanging an existing meter. Failure to submit the appropriate applications in the time requested will likely delay your request.
- Fire hydrant meters are approved for use on WaterOne hydrants only. WaterOne hydrants are painted yellow with a black bonnet. Private hydrants within WaterOne service area (painted red) may be used only with the owner’s permission. Using a WaterOne fire hydrant meter outside of WaterOne’s service area is considered theft and may be prosecuted by the affected water purveyor. Dual charges may also apply.
- The meter reading must be reported to WaterOne by the 20th day of the month. All numbers must be read from left to right, including the fixed zeros. Failure to submit monthly meter readings will result in a $100.00 fine.
- All accounts will receive a monthly water bill consisting of a monthly service charge, a charge for the volume or estimated volume of water used and any fines or penalties that have been assessed against the account.
- The meter and materials must be returned on or before March 31st of the following rental year or by the designated expiration date, whichever occurs first. For example, a hydrant meter rented in June of 2016 must be returned by March 31, 2017. Hydrant meters with built in Reduced Pressure Assemblies must be returned within two weeks.
- The amount of the deposit will be refunded only after the meter and materials have been returned to WaterOne in good condition and the account has been paid in full. If the meter is damaged, only a partial refund may be possible.
- All fire hydrant meters must have approved cross connection control in place.
- Application for temporary water service will not be approved if, in the opinion of WaterOne, the purpose of the application can be accomplished through a permanent connection to the water system.
- Flow water until clear before attaching the meter to the fire hydrant.
- The fire hydrant must always be opened and closed slowly. Failure to do so could result in a main break.
- When in use, the fire hydrant must be in the fully open position.
- A valve on the meter must be used to control the volume flow of water. The valve should be in the closed position before opening the fire hydrant.
- Only WaterOne fire hydrant wrenches may be used to operate the fire hydrant.
- When not in use, the fire hydrant must be left in the closed position with all nozzle caps in place. Hoses, meters and any other apparatus must never be left on the fire hydrant when not in use.
- Any apparent damage or malfunction of a fire hydrant must be reported immediately to WaterOne at 913/895-1800.
- Repairs made to a fire hydrant will be performed by WaterOne personnel only.
- In cold weather the fire hydrant, meter, and all issued materials must be protected from freezing.
- WaterOne, police, and fire districts reserve the right to interrupt use of a fire hydrant at any time.
- Request a Fire Hydrant Meter
- Request a Bulk Water Tank Inspection
- Monthly Reporting Form for Fire Hydrant Meters:
Fire Hydrant Flow Testing
WaterOne can provide existing fire hydrant flow and pressure data free of charge. Existing flow tests are generally single hydrant tests, which means the static pressure, residual pressure, and flow are all taken on a single hydrant. You can request existing hydrant flow and pressure data by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the address or intersection, elevation (if known), and hydrant number (if known) with your request.
New hydrant flow and pressure data tests can be scheduled for a fee. Tests cannot be scheduled until payment is received and are generally completed within two-business days if weather and scheduling permits. To request a new hydrant flow test, fill out the appropriate application below and send it in with payment to the provided address.