- Customer Service
- Engineering Services
- Project Updates
- Project Archives
- Water Main Replacement - Mission Road, Reinhardt Drive to 63rd Street - Completed June 2016
Water Main Replacement - Mission Road, Reinhardt Drive to 63rd Street - Completed June 2016
WaterOne Project Manager
Email Matt Carter
As our infrastructure continues to age, we proactively replace water mains to ensure safe, reliable, high-quality water service to our community with superior service. As part of our commitment to utility excellence, WaterOne will be replacing an aging water main in Fairway, KS along Mission Road extending from Reinhardt Drive to 63rd Street. This project was coordinated with the City of Fairway to be completed in advance of scheduled road improvement work in order to avoid unnecessary excavation and maximize ratepayer dollars. Work will begin on February 29th, 2016 and is expected to be complete by June 2016.
This project will temporarily affect traffic to homes and businesses in Reinhardt Estates and other neighborhoods located west of Mission Road. Every effort will be made to provide multiple detours and access points for local traffic, and WaterOne will continue posting regular updates for residents below. We appreciate your patience as we complete this necessary upgrade to your water infrastructure.
- Construction Start: February 29th, 2016
- Construction End: June 10th, 2016
- Cost: $950,000
- Project Phase: Complete
Special Update: Work Complete at Mission Road
June 10th, 2016 - WaterOne is pleased to announce that work is complete on the water main replacement project along Mission Road in Fairway, KS - on time, on budget, as promised. The final barriers and detour signs will start being removed on Friday afternoon, June 10th.
Why did WaterOne do this project? We had prioritized this aging section of water main on Mission Road in our recent Condition Assessment study. By proactively planning for infrastructure replacement, we are able to maximize the use of ratepayer dollars and prevent main breaks and water outages. We were also able to dovetail this project with the City's planned roadwork, saving time, money, and further inconvenience for residents.
Thank you! We appreciate your patience and that of area businesses and commuters during the project. We are passionate about producing and delivering great water, and upgrades like these to our system are part of our commitment to excellence. If you have any questions about this project or your water service, please don't hesitate to contact me or WaterOne Customer Care at 913-895-1800.
Lead Engineer - Infrastructure
- Thursday, February 25th: On February 29th, Reinhardt Drive will be closed at Mission Road to install a new water main across Reinhardt. Mission Road will remain open for 2 to 3 days as the new crossing is installed. As soon as the crossing is complete, Reinhardt Drive will be reopened and Mission Road will be closed between Reinhardt and 58th Street. WaterOne will provide multiple ways into and out of Reinhardt Estates and the neighborhoods to the west of Mission as construction continues south along Mission Road to 63rd Street.
- Tuesday, March 1st: Work on the crossing was completed ahead of schedule. Mission Road will be closed between Reinhardt Drive and 58th Street starting at 3 pm on Tuesday, March 1st. Reinhardt Drive will be reopened at this time.
- Friday, April 1st: Work is on schedule as the water main replacement continues south. Completion is at 40%.
- Tuesday, April 5th: The first major section has been completed, and Mission Road has been reopened between Reinhardt Drive and 59th Street. Mission Road is now closed from 59th Street to Eastvale, so please look for added detour signage around these neighborhoods. Starting Wednesday April 6th, Eastvale will also be closed during working hours for up to 5 days to install the new water main through the intersection.
- Friday, May 6th: Another section of main has been installed from Eastvale to 61st Terrace. The main is being flushed and tested, and will go into service shortly after. Service lines will be switched from the old main to the new main beginning the week of May 9th, and water main replacement will continue south. Total project completion is at 70%.
- Friday, May 27th: Crews finished pouring concrete at Eastvale and connecting the new water main to the existing main at 61st Street. WaterOne crews will be completing connections at 61st Terrace, 62nd Street, and 63rd Street Road barriers have been moved to allow for more traffic over Memorial Day weekend.